Remove this ad

fion

regular

Lead

Apr 6 10 2:15 PM

Tags : :

Remember a time when furry avatars were nothing but basic prims and animated scripted eye blinks?

I remember.

Back when certain animals were unavailable because it was too hard to do them with base prims.

Back when you had to use clever textureing to do anything right.

Back when things actually matterd.

Fion Remembers

DISCUSS

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 6 10 6:36 PM

Haha.. Fion you cad. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
I too remember those days. I was around, you know, before sculpties were available.
Avs get better. They're becoming more available and easier to make, too.

That said.. Guys learning the ropes nowadays kind of skip out on the important stuff. Ingenuity is replaced by templates, and the best of intentions lead  to horrible lag and redundantly large textures. Thankfully, some of us constantly look back and try to devise newer and more clever tricks, to keep things fresh and deleecious.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 6 10 8:09 PM

When I first discovered second life, I had no idea you could have furry avs... so I stuck to SL for like 3 days. Came back about a year later and bummed around on an early prim cat... it was horrid-looking, so I barely played more than 3 days a week. Eventually better avs came out, so I became a prim cheetah. Was pretty awesome-looking too! I definitely don't miss those days, though. Unlike 2D games transitioning to 3D, there is really nothing for me to hold in a sentimental light. D:

Now there is one thing to be said about the speed some stuff gets crapped out these days but eh, I can deal with that.

Unf~

Quote    Reply   

fion

regular

#3 [url]

Apr 7 10 8:36 AM

when I first discoverd Secondlife, i spent hours apon hours making the worst avatars imaginable.  though i never gave up, thats how i got to the level im at right now. pressing on, and keeping up with crrent avatar news.

One Time, at Rabbit Camp, I Stuck a Carrot up my Gas Pipe.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Apr 8 10 8:17 AM

All I can do is mod avatars, not make them. Blender is outright scary to me, and I'm jut starting to explore with Gimp to try to make my own skins and textures.

And yet I still have the same gargoyle from 4 years ago and I've managed to make it look good enough that people don't run screaming. That's good enough for me.

What people are doing nowadays in SL is still good as far as I know... possibly because I don't know anything about what really goes into making textures or sculpts or what have you. Some are better, and some are worse. The only thing I can mention about the "good old days" that I miss is the willingness people would show to make things simply for the enjoyment and challenge of making things. Now, you can make an announcement in the Furry Builders Guild group chat, and be told that you need to be painfully specific in order to even get a response.

The Heart's Courage is the Soul's Guardian.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 8 10 12:41 PM

Oh shiiit. I remember my early works. Grape was both awesome and awful at the same time. I really should rebuild that av.
I had some -scary- bad stuff back then.

Also, Darena, I'm in agreement. People are kinda.. cloak and dagger lately. But since  people make money off SL now, your skills become your livelihood.

That said, a lot more people are playing SL for the monetary game, opposed to just socializing.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 23 10 12:41 PM

And now there will be meshes!
Gosh that's going to be crazy.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help